Monday 11 February 2008

Jamelia's death penalty


Jamelia has apparently said she wants the death penalty brought back.
The Superstar singer believes the government need to take strong action against gun and knife crime in Britain, according to The Sun newspaper.
Jamelia, 27, said: "National Service and the death penalty should be brought back.
"The justice system is a farce at the moment and I think it really needs to be tougher. There is a serious epidemic and it has to be stopped.
"If you have a gun or a knife, you should get an automatic prison sentence. If you carry a weapon you are prepared to take a life, it's that simple."
The R&B star, who was brought up in Birmingham, has experienced gang crime first-hand. Her 15-year-old brother Tesrod was stabbed to death when she was 13, and her half-brother Kiaro Beckford was jailed for life in 2004 for a gangland murder.
She is worried for the safety of her two daughters, six-year-old Teja and two-year-old Tiani.
She said: "I feel we are in an awful situation. I know people who have been sucked into a bad situation with gangs. I am very aware of it and I think it's absolutely awful.
"I do feel a lot more confident having girls than boys. I guess it's because of my experience having brothers. All of them have been touched by violence and tempted along the wrong path."

No comments: