Saturday 11 May 2013

Nigeria has a looooong way to go

So on my way to Nigeria, i flew KLM, economy of course! shuttle flight sef, that's what i could afford.

I sat down jeje with my husband and these kids in blue tee shirts and jumpers started coming. The oldest of them wont be more than 15 years old.  Guess where they were coming from? Switzerland! A school trip. One of many i suppose.

Now i know there are rich peeps in Nigeria but these kids are mega rich and i wont be surprised if they are politicians children. Apart from their tee shirts and sweat shirts that are same, everything else these kids had on were all designers, and most of them had their Ipads, Ipods, Iphones, Beats by Dre headsets.  I was gobsmacked!
They filled a whole cabin!


I knew the inequality in Nigeria was bad but I wasn't expecting this. They all look so posh and polished. There were some non Nigerian kids there too. I had to assume their parents are expats in Nigeria. They have Nigerian accents infact!
See for yourself

I can just imagine how much their school fees will be. Millions of Naira I bet.
So these kids will finish school and kids from some government high school will be applying for jobs? I don't think so, the gap will be way to wide. This trip is one of many trips . These kids are exposed, they've been to different countries. An average Nigerian kid won't even go past their state let alone get a passport/visa and travel to another country!

Well enough of my ranting. I knew there were school like this in Nigeria but was still very much surprised by what i saw.........

What happened to equal opportunities? The amount of money that country makes in a day is more than how much Great Britain makes in a week but yet it never goes round. God dey o.



3 comments:

gbenga said...

Politician children attend the best schools around the world. Half the time, they are spoilt rich kids. ALl kids are not equal in Nigeria.

There is nothing glorious about being on the poor side

Unknown said...

I knew things like this existed, just maybe i wasnt expecting this, caught unawares i guess.

The Nigerian said...

My dear, that's Nigeria for you. I remember there was this very expensive school about a stone throw from my government boarding school, during interhouse sports, our principal would invite these people and would even go out of her way to buy take-away meals for them, something we never ate. These "rich men pikins" would toss their meal without opening them. The surprising thing was, during spelling bees and educational competitions, these students could not even spell or do anything. Most expensive school in Nigeria is 'just because', when compared to their cheaper counterparts, their educational system was/is a mess.